Patty Jenkins attends TNT’s “I Am The Night” FYC Event on May 9, 2019 in North Hollywood, California.
Emma McIntyre | Getty Images
The next episode of the Star Wars big-screen franchise has been delayed, according to a report by The Hollywood Reporter.
“Rogue Squadron,” scheduled for release on Dec. 22, 2023, has been pulled from the schedule due to issues with director Patty Jenkins’ schedule, the publication said on Monday.
Jenkins and writer Matthew Robinson, alongside Disney’s Lucasfilm, have been developing the new title for over a year. The initial goal was to start production on the project next year. However, sources told The Hollywood Reporter that Jenkins’ commitments to other projects would not allow production of “Rogue Squadron” in that time frame. Jenkins is currently working on Warner Bros. ‘ Third Wonder Woman film and a Cleopatra feature film for Paramount.
Disney announced Jenkins’ involvement in the photo at an Investor Day last year. “Rogue Squadron” was slated to be Star Wars’ first theatrical release since “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” in 2019.
It’s unclear which path Lucasfilm will take with future films, as it has several in development, including one from Marvel Studios director Kevin Feige and one from acclaimed director Taika Waititi. Additionally, Rian Johnson, who wrote and directed “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” in 2017, is reportedly still working on a standalone trilogy set in the Star Wars universe.
For now, it looks like the future of Star Wars will remain on Disney +. Alongside âThe Mandalorian,â âThe Bad Batch,â and âStar Wars: Visions,â the production company is set to release âThe Book of Boba Fettâ in December and features a live-action series starring Obi- Wan Kenobi, Cassian Andor and Ahsoka Tano in preparation.
Read the full report from The Hollywood Reporter.