We are looking for a dynamic and organized individual with both a process and publishing focus to assist with acquisitions and corporate development project activities for the Bloomsbury Group, while supporting the publishing business by Bloomsbury’s joint venture in Beijing so that it continues to grow in mainland China.
The Project Assistant role is the organizational heart of a small team that works with and across the entire global Bloomsbury Group, across all functions and at all levels of the business. Reporting to the Managing Director, Bloomsbury China / Head of Acquisitions and Corporate Development, you will be an excellent communicator and researcher, able to easily switch between tasks and priorities, and eager to develop your publishing knowledge and acquire experience in all functional areas. from a major independent publisher.
Bloomsbury values the importance of work-life balance and offers flexible work options. This full-time position is only expected to be in the office 2 days a week and we offer a core working hours policy of 10am-3pm, with flexible Fridays throughout the year. See below for details.
Acquisitions and projects related to the development of the company
- Assist with desk research so that a consistent pipeline and database of potential acquisition targets and M&A agents is generated and maintained
- Help establish contact with potential agents and targets
- Organize project meetings and assist with project management and report writing for all company development projects
- Create a digital archive of documents for each acquisition
Bloomsbury-related projects in China
- Be a key point of contact and liaison between Bloomsbury and its joint venture in China (Bloomsbury China)
- Create, manage and improve processes and projects within Bloomsbury to enable it to work effectively with Bloomsbury China
- Assist in identifying Bloomsbury titles and intellectual property that may be of interest to Bloomsbury China and manage processes and liaison to facilitate the transfer of rights
- Liaise with Bloomsbury China staff on all operational and administrative matters and assist Bloomsbury MD in UK based operations and administration
- Assist the MD with diary management, travel arrangements and other administrative tasks
- Take and distribute meeting notes as needed
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Excellent organizational skills, in particular the ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and multi-task.
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral.
- Strong computer skills and high level of familiarity with MS Office, especially Excel. Ability to use MS Project is desirable.
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as excellent teamwork skills.
- Efficient researcher.
- Attention to detail.
- Enthusiastic and dynamic approach to work
- Fluency in Mandarin is helpful but not required.
The role is a permanent full-time position with a salary of £24,000
The role is based at our London office 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP
- on a hybrid work model of 2 days in the office / 3 days at home (or entirely in the office if you prefer).
- Office days allocated for this role are: Wednesday / Thursday
As an assistant, this position is eligible for Bloomsbury’s Rental Deposit Loan Scheme. To help applicants who want to start and establish a career in publishing, Bloomsbury is offering an interest-free rental deposit to help them find accommodation. The rental deposit loan can be up to £3,000 and will be repaid over 2 years.
Please apply with a CV and cover letter addressed to Human Resources (Word or PDF format only) via the “APPLY NOW” button detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role by Monday, May 2, 2022.
Bloomsbury reserves the right to close the position early if we exceed the required number of applications
Benefits of Bloomsbury
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join an award-winning global organization, Bloomsbury offers the following competitive advantages:
- hybrid work model of: 2 days in the office / 3 days at home (or entirely in the office if you prefer)
- 25 days vacation
- 3.5 days Christmas company vacation
- 2 days of personal well-being
Flexible Fridays – take Friday afternoon off by working an extra 3 hours and 45 minutes earlier in the week
Eye Care Voucher Program
That day – online fitness classes, mindfulness, cooking classes, workshops, etc.
Corporate culture ! – Employee voice meetings, staff networks (BAME, disability, mental health, LGBTQ+ and parents, guardians and carers), 15 mental health first aiders trained in UK offices, publication events and access to resources free publications
For additional benefits, see below
Bloomsbury is a place where anyone of any origin, race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender identity, age, ability or socio-economic status can thrive, feel comfortable and be heard and accepted. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are willing to make reasonable adjustments throughout the recruitment process, please report to the recruitment team if necessary
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
The Book Trade Charity offers financial assistance to people who wish to enter the publishing industry; you can find more information and talk directly here: http://booktradeentrysupport.org
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
Bloomsbury Publishing is a leading independent publishing house, established in 1986, with authors who have won the Nobel, Pulitzer and Booker Prizes, and is the original publisher and trustee of the Harry Potter series. Bloomsbury has offices in London, New York, New Delhi, Oxford and Sydney. Within Bloomsbury’s academic division, it publishes under Bloomsbury, as well as under a number of prestigious and historic names. Read our story to find out how it all started.
Bloomsbury is committed to creating a work environment that stimulates creativity and collaboration, respects difference, is inclusive and ethical in its practice, and promotes well-being. We are committed to nurturing and developing our people to reach their full potential, and we know that our success is built on the passion, commitment and hard work of our talented people. We recognize the urgent need to attract and support candidates from all backgrounds and identities to be part of the global publishing industry, allowing diverse voices to reflect and shape our culture and society.
Please learn more about our missions and values here.
Please read our environmental policy here.